Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Boys Will Be Boys

My mother came around this afternoon and put a pet carrier down on my floor. "Oooh!" I exclaimed excitedly "Did you get a new piggie?".... "No!" she declared. "I did not. Now, I want you to look at this pig and tell me what I want to hear." I dutifully checked over her healthy crested sow. Glossy eyes, shiny coat, nice weight..... hmmm.... rounded belly.... I couldn't help the grin from spreading across my face. "Yes, she's well conditioned" I said, "Um, did Charlotte happen to have a boar in her last litter?" "Yes" said Mum "his name is Mr Pickles because he's such a gentleman.  I burst out laughing. "It isn't funny" said Mum and to be honest, in this case, technically she is right. 


Charlotte
Charlotte had a litter around eight weeks ago. At four weeks of age, her son, Mr Pickles was spotted rumble-strutting and removed from the hutch. Since then his Mother and sister have lived together and he has lived separately. Mum had weighed her before coming over and in two weeks she has gained 70 grams. Clearly four weeks was just a little too long, Mr Pickles, has made babies with his mother. 

So although I am led to believe it is unusual, clearly it is possible for a boar at less than four weeks of age, to impregnate his mother. I separate my boars at three weeks of age to be extra safe an act that I often feel guilty about but I always tell myself it is better safe than sorry. Today's conversation has confirmed my conviction.
Carrara "Lord Seraphim"
On the topic of boars being fertile from a young age, four weeks ago I put my texel boy Seraphim (who was only five weeks old at the time) with my adult sow Night Star. I did a quick facebook poll and discovered that the breeders I spoke to don't rely on their stud boars to get the job done until around six months of age. I really wanted her to conceive a litter and deliver it before the warm months arrived due to her long coat and the risk of toxemia, so I thought I would give him a window of opportunity and if it didn't happen, remove him and wait until next year for the litter to be conceived.

To my surprise after being consistently 900 grams since I've owner her, last week Night Star gained 20 grams and this week she gained 80 grams. She has the same small yet tell-tale rounded belly that I noted on Charlotte. So although I wouldn't stake my life on it, I am quite optimistic that my first pedigree babies may have been conceived. Am I as proud of Seraphim as my Mum is horrified with Mr Pickles? You bet your bottom dollar I am!
YoYoMar "NightStar"
It would seem that even at a very young age, boars can be rather virile. As we have seen in these two cases not only was the intent there but also the physical capability. Boys, will be boys. So my advice, is don't assume a boar is 'too young' to impregnate his female cage mates. Remove sons from Mothers at three weeks of age. If you don't want a pregnancy to occur, dont tempt fate. When it comes to reproduction, the cavia porcellus excel.

In other caviary news, this week my piggies tried mulberry tree leaves for afternoon tea. The recent unseasonal warm weather has seen many mulberry trees in the area get their leaves back much earlier than usual. All of my piggies declared them to be absolutely delicious. Interestingly enough, according to one study I read, they are of high nutritional value and are considered a good source of protein. According to another article, they are often used in dietary supplements and also contain resveratrol, a polyphenol with anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.

 So if you have any mulberry trees growing in your garden, or you have friends kind enough to let you raid their trees, I am sure picking a bag or two for your piggies will please them no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment