Wednesday, February 5, 2014

An Important Story To Tell

This is not a blog I want to write. It is not a story I want to tell. It is not even something that I want to be true. It is a true story though and one of great importance for all cavy owners. 


This is Scout.
Scout's first birthday is in six days. 

He is funny, cheeky, outgoing and loves his food.

He is my rascal, my scallywag, to be honest he is my favorite boar. 
A few days ago I was visiting the boys. They all live in their own sections in a large tower of apartment style hutches. Scout was drinking out of his dripper bottle and then he sneezed. "Silly bugger" I thought to myself, assuming he had gotten water up his nose.

Yesterday I was busy, really busy. I sent my twelve year old down to fill the feed and water bottles and check everyone was okay. She spent time cuddling her favorite pet boars. First Scout and then Zavier. She reported all was well when she came inside and I thought no more of it. 

I didn't get down to my cavies until midnight last night. I started with the babies and sows in the caviary. I combed the "in-coat" cavies, changed some litter, filled water bottles and feed bowls. Then I made my way by torchlight to the boar cages.

The boys squeaked loudly, as they always do, standing at the front of their hutches curious to see what yummy treats I had. I started taking down the water bottles to refill them but got no further. My husband yelled out from the house that our baby was crying and wanted to nurse.

So much to his dismay, instead of going back to sleep he was sent down to finish the jobs I started. He refilled their water bottles and cut down a banana leaf, which he cut up and shared out between them. Satisfied that everyone was accounted for, seemed fine and was fed he went back to bed.

So that brings us to the events of Today. After playing with her pets this morning, my daughter appeared with Scout. "Mum" she said, "Scout seems more quiet than usual, is he okay?" Immediately I noticed he was lethargic almost listless. Upon closer inspection his eyes appeared to of been weeping. I could hear him breathing, taking deep, rattling breaths with an awful wet sounding gurgle.
I searched his body looking for clues. He seemed lighter than usual. No signs of impaction, no visible injury, no mites, lice or other nasties. His teeth looked fine. I searched through his dense coat for ticks. Throughout the process he barely protested. Something was very wrong.

I trimmed his coat short, making it easier to see. I rinsed him in Fidos Fre-Itch Rinse hoping if a tick was attached that it would cause it to fall off. Still nothing. I rang my best friend and fellow cavy owner for back up. From this point on, things got worse. I got advice from experience cavy breeders, I spoke to the vet. Scout couldn't eat or drink. He was too far gone for Baytril (antibiotics) because he wouldn't live long enough for them to work. What he had, was an upper respiratory infection and he was going down-hill fast.

I wish I handled my boys yesterday. I can't help but wonder if I would have noticed something was wrong. Perhaps not. Perhaps I would have held him, declared him quieter than usual but noticed nothing else untoward. I can't say for sure. What I do know is this, cavies hide illness. Unless you are super vigilant all the time, you might miss the signs. 

In terms of upper respiratory infections, this is what you should be looking for in your cavy:

Sitting in the corner
Fluffed up
Runny, moist nostrils
Coughing
Sneezing
Raspy breathing
Irregular breathing
Loss of interest in food
Lethargy

A mild illness may be viral or bacterial. A bacterial infection will respond to Baytril, a viral infection won't and will just run its course. In the case of a viral infection and a cavy who doesnt want to eat, syringe feeding may be necessary. If they go more than 24 hours without eating, their liver starts shutting down. An upper respiratory infection is a very serious condition. It is also contagious, so isolation is paramount.

If the cavy starts to really deteriorate then it is likely a bacterial infection or a virus that has now resulted in a secondary bacterial infection. At this point Baytril is required either way. You cannot acquire antibiotics for your cavy without a consultation with a vet. It cannot be purchased in a retail fashion. So if you notice the above symptoms, call your vet. If you act quickly enough, you may be able to save their life. Unfortunately, in this case, I could not.

It is with a heavy heart that I say rest in peace to my little guy Scout.


No comments:

Post a Comment