Monday, March 10, 2014

Show Team 2014 - First Look

 It has been a little quiet here, at Enchanted Kingdom Cavy Stud. There are no litters due and I have not even worked out this years pairings. I was focussed on my up and coming first breed standard showing. I selected three sows to coat out.
The first one, is Kingdom 'Christmas Angel'.
Kingdom 'Christmas Angel'
Kingdom 'Christmas Angel'
 Despite being handled since birth, she has a pesky little personality. She is not fond of being cuddled, patted or held, so you can imagine how much she loves being combed. Nonetheless I have persevered as I wanted to show her this weekend. Then, the cavy club cancelled the show I was taking her to. Not deterred, I started looking into other shows this month. I thought perhaps I could join COB's and take her to their next show. Imagine my delight when I went to comb her a few nights ago and discovered that she had chewed her entire undercoat all down one side! In one instant, her show career was finished. She will now become one of my breeding sows for this year.

My two other "works in progress" are so far still in coat. Remember this adorable little face?
Kingdom 'Mio Amore'
Kingdom 'Mio Amore'
The lovely little Mio. I adore her lilac and gold coat, which just begs to be coated out. She has very nice chops too. Density is often the issue with this type colouring and alas her's is lacking a little. However, I must start somewhere and I have so much affection for this little sow. She has a sweet, timid, gentle personality and tolerates being combed quite well.
Kingdom 'Mio Amore'
Last but certainly not least, my pride and joy, the divine miss Zoli. I have known since very early on that her coat was superior to the others born at my stud. Even as a new pup her coat was by far denser than her litter mates. It didn't want to part naturally for quite some time and it is quite difficult to pull a comb through.
Kingdom 'Zoli de Rosa'


 She is such a lovely little cavy, I can't wait to show her. I just hope she behaves herself and doesnt damage her coat any way. I am terrified she is going to chew it. Especially after seeing what Angel did to herself. It really is rather challenging to show long hairs and I suspect this is why the sane people start by showing short hairs. It will be worth it though, in the end. I will just have to keep persevering.
Kingdom 'Zoli de Rosa'


No comments:

Post a Comment