Saturday, July 6, 2013

Minnie and Zavier's Litter Has Arrived

My beautiful pedigree sheltie has given birth today. I was waiting on her pedigree partner to arrive but when he wasn't yet available and the months rolled by, I came to the decision that a pet litter would be the best choice. This litter effectively eliminates the risk of dystocia, which is most common in sows bred and having their first litter after approximately 6 months of age. Dystocia is the inability of the pubic symphisis to open during labour due to a loss of flexibility that can occur at maturity.

I am happy to say that Balthasar does now reside at the Enchanted Kingdom Cavy Stud and when the time is right, he and Minnie will hopefully bless me with some stunning sheltie pups but for now, we will go back to the birth story.... 

...So, I went down to the caviary to give my piggies some banana leaves when I noticed Minnie doing a strange hiccupping/hopping thing. I quickly realised that the wriggling black sac underneath her contained a pup. As I watched on with baited breath she pierced the sac and began to eat it. Anyone who has witnessed a cavy birth will know that there is a sound you can hear, the moment the sac is opened. Before long a little curly, black head could be seen poking out.

A first glimpse of the pup.

 Minnie had barely cleaned the first pup before a second one was arriving. Watching a cavy birth is exciting but not for the feint hearted. It was around this point in proceedings it occured to me that hysorb wood shavings was not the best choice of litter for a maternity hutch. As it sticks to everything! However it was a little too late to do anything about it by the time I had come to the realisation. I could hear the sound of two little cavies wheeking and then a little tri-coloured body could be seen moving around the floor of the hutch.

The second pup arrives.
Before too long, I began to suspect a third pup had arrived. Minnie was hunched over and I couldn't see underneath her. I used the zoom on my camera to try and catch a non-invasive peak but to no avail. A few moments later she changed position and continued to clean her first two pups leaving a motionless sac beside her. My heart dropped. I called to hubby for moral support but he didn't hear. I knew I had only moments to make a decision and with my heart in my throat I began clearing away the sac. I managed to uncover the pups mouth and nose, I turned Minne towards it, encouraging her to help. She half-heartedly began chewing the sac but looked at me as if she somehow knew we were both wasting our time. I called again and hubby appeared in the doorway. With tears in my eyes I looked at him "I think I have my first DOA." 

Minnie had already given up and turned her attention back to the first born pups so we lifted the abandoned pup out. Surprisingly it looked to be the biggest of the three but still it was motionless. Convinced I had seen it take a small breath when I had opened the sace I urged hubby to help. To his credit he wiped it's little nose and felt its little chest but there was no life present. I nursed it on a towel for quite some time just to be sure but in the end we named the little dear Ginger and planted it under a ginger plant in the rainforest. It is a sad but true fact that sometimes newborn pups don't make it, even if you are there to do all you can. If you make the choice to breed your cavies, it is a reality that sooner or later, you will likely be confronted with. 

Fortunately Mum and the surviving bubs at the time of writing this (several hours post birth) are all happy and healthy. I did a quick check over, weighed and photographed the bubs before returning them to their Mumma. Both are 100grams and if I'm not mistaken (which I could be, as newborns are notoriously hard to sex,) It would seem that I have one merino sow and one coronet boar.



Pup Number 1 - He has a very big coronet.
 

Pup Number 2 - With her very cute curls.

I haven't yet named either of these pups. Although I'm sure you will agree they are both super cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment