Tuesday, June 3, 2014

My First Pedigree Show

 Last month I entered Zoli, in my first pedigree show. Was I nervous? Yes indeed. However, she was surprisingly well behaved on the table and it was a wonderful experience.

Kingdom 'Zoli de Rosa'
Zoli placed third in the Long Hair Texel category and third in Breeders Exhibit Long Hair. Which sounds quite flash, until I mention that there were only three cavies in each of those categories. What this translates to, is that the other exhibitors were more experienced then I, their presentation was undoubtedly better and their cavies were better. They were slightly older and as a result also had longer coats. Zoli being five months old is still in that 'potential' age group. She shows potential but we won't know for sure for a few more months.

Finger combing Zoli's chops forward
What I was most excited about, was being able to talk to the judge afterwards. To hear what she honestly thought of Zoli was a huge help. It is good to have the perspective of someone with more experience so that you can compare it with your own thoughts to determine whether you are on the right track with your presentation but also your breeding.
On her show board, Kingdom 'Zoli de Rosa'
I had also hoped to show Mio but pulled her out at the last minute as I discovered she had a skin condition. She had been recently dipped and her ivermectin was up to date, which made me doubt the cause was parasites. Either way, it didn't look good and I couldn't get rid of it before the show so I scratched her entry.
Kingdom 'Mio Amore'


 While I was at the show, I did talk to some other breeders and a judge about it and have found out that it can be caused by a change of weather. Apparently lighter coloured cavies are more susceptible to it, colours such as lilac, gold buff and white.Whatever it was, it has since lifted out and Mio's skin and coat are once again clean and fresh. While I was disappointed not to be able to show Mio, it is always better to err on the side of caution in situations like this.
Unidentified skin condition

On the day, I took the time to watch the other sections and see how the other breeders presented their animals. I also kept an eye on the other long-hair exhibitors who were showing in the same section as me, to see when they took their cavies out and how long they took to groom them. Something can always be learned from others.

I also learned the hard way, that in coat cavies should not be trusted with water bottles on show day. I think in future, I will offer them a drink frequently throughout the day rather than leaving the bottle in their hutch. Zoli decided that right before being shown it would be super refreshing to dab her back end up under her dripper and drench a section of her coat. Which brings me to the next lesson, as a long haired exhibitor, always take a hair dryer. I didn't because I wasn't showing any Shelties and I didn't want to blow dry Zoli and risk over grooming her. As it turns out it would have been faster then standing their pressing her coat between pieces of paper towel, which is what I was forced to do.

Showing cavies truly is a fun hobby and I can honestly say that everyone was kind and supportive from the committee members, to the judges and even other exhibitors. If you are putting off your first pedigree show I hope this post will encourage you to get in there and have a go. Everyone starts somewhere and even the best breeders were once newcomers just like you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment