Saturday, June 15, 2013

And Then There Was Biffo!

Summer
It was time for Summer to move into a maternity room in the shed. I had been thinking for some time about how I would rearrange and what would work best. In the end I decided to wire up my recently acquired cage to snake proof it and move Abby and Hasana in. I thought that Wobby and her three triplets might make nice roommates. Abby and Wobby have been together since they were four weeks old right up until they were separated to have their pups. 'Good plan', thought I. How cute it will be to see the mummas and their bubbas all play together. 


Before
 So for hours I sat in the shed painstakingly wiring all sides and the roof. When I would grow bored or my back would ache I reminded myself how awful it would be to come down and find a python in the hutch with a belly full of piggies. Eventually I had it all wired tight. Next, came the exciting part. I filled it with bedding, put in an igloo, some fresh food and a water bottle. Then I grabbed the piggies, popped them in and pulled up a chair to observe.
After
The two mummas had a sniff, reacquanited themselves and set about exploring. The babies all munched happily together at the food bowl. I sat there with a stupid grin on my face thinking how nice my little arrangement was going to be, when my reverie was startled by a strange purring noise. It almost sounding like a set of boars rumble-strutting at the same time. Concerned, I peered in closer. Wobby and Abby were nose to rear. No sooner had they started, then they moved apart. 'Ok', I thought, 'a display of dominance. Thats fine, they are both warning the other not to hurt their pups.'
Abby
 Next Wobby went into the igloo and a moment later Abby followed. Then I observed a blur within the igloo before it started levitating and moving across the floor of the cage. With horror I realised they were spinning around and around inside the igloo! I lifted the door and raised the igloo. There sat Wobby with a chunk of bright orange fur in her mouth and glaring at her was Abby with an equally large chunk of white fur between her teeth. Both were chattering ferociously. 

Wobby
I stuck my hand in to grab them before thinking maybe that wasn't such a good idea. These ladies were seriously annoyed. So quick as a flash I popped the igloo over Abby's head before hesitantly grabbing Wobby out. Fortunately she didn't bite or show any aggression towards me. I put her back into her original hutch and quickly moved her babies back as well. I have never witnessed anything like this between any of my guinea pigs before and I have to tell you, it was straight out frightening.

Wobby and the triplets
So, the moral of this story is - just because your sows were friends doesn't mean there won't be biffo if you try to reconnect them once they are mothers. I don't know if or when they will be able to co-habit again but I can tell you one thing for sure, I will not be trying any time soon! For now at least, they can both be single mummas living independently. Its much more peaceful that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment